Wentwood

Forest Leader:  Mrs Louise Kimber, assisted by Miss Lisa Jackson

Wentwood Forest is all that remains of a vast area of woodland that would have stretched from Newport all the way to Wye at Chepstow and was once a hunting forest belonging to Chepstow Castle.  In 1880 the Forest was planted with conifers and by the end of WWII most of the broadleaved trees had been felled, being replaced with more conifers in the 1950s and 1960s.  The Forest and its surrounding countryside now supports a wide range of flora and fauna, including 23 species of butterflies, 75 species of birds including nightjars, turtle doves and spotted flycatchers, mammals that include dormice and otters, and ancient woodland plants that include wild daffodils, wood sorrel and yellow pimpernel.

Read more